5G is the next generation of mobile networks, promising to enable self-driving cars and running entire smart cities! The whole Internet of things will be impacted as every machine will start talking to every other machine. So far, we don’t have any set standards, but we do have a rough idea of what 5G should look like.
So let’s get you ready and geared up with the top 5 things you need to know about 5G:
1. 5G will be exponentially faster than 4G. The average speed across 5G is estimated to clock in at around 1 Gigabit per second! Meaning, a Full HD movie could be downloaded in seconds rather than minutes with speeds 10 – 100 times faster than 4G – That is insanely fast.
2. 4G masts broadcast in all directions, whereas 5G antennas will send concentrated beams directly to your device.
3. 5G has super quick response times, which is essential for things like self-driving cars.
4. It’s literally a new wave. 5G will use the radio spectrum, but a part that was never used before. It will broadcast on shorter millimeter waves, which simply means more data for all your devices. There is a ‘but’ – these waves can’t travel through buildings. Even bad weather can affect it.
5. So what’s the solution – masts…and lots of them. The good news is they needn’t be large, so these mini-masts just have to be tightly packed to act like a relay team, transmitting around buildings and dense objects.